cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Client switch cannot ping itself or other devices

Curtis_L
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring a network in packet tracer that simulates a campus network.

The network has 2 switches and router on Vlan99 as shown below (the rest of the topology is not shown in the image).

Topology.png

S1 can ping the Stafford router.

S2 however is unable to ping itself, S1 or the Stafford router.

I have attached the running configs for the three devices.

EDIT: I have also attached the .pkt file.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

For clarification, As I stated previously and so did @luis_cordova 

You were missing vlan 99 on the trunk between sw1/2 to be enable sw2 to connect to the other devices in this network, From what i can see there isnt any need to change any STP priority 

Sw1
int fa0/1
switchport trunk allowed vlan add 99

Sw2

int fa0/1
shut
no shut

Result connectivity to/from all switches/routers 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello
In PT i wouldn't really trust its results anyway looking at the config it should work for you hosts in vlan 100 but your mgt address of the S2 isn't being allowed on the trunk. 

Can you post your PT file please.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Curtis_L 

Assuming that both switches are connected by the f0/1 interface, try aggregating vlan 99 to the vlan allowed on that interface:

DAD1E2A6-4E8B-4EB8-872F-32198BC0FB85.jpeg

Regards

Curtis_L
Level 1
Level 1

@luis_cordova 

Both the switches are connected using Fa0/1. I have updated the switchport trunk allowed vlan to include vlan 99 on both ends, resulting in the running config being updated as shown below. S2 was still unable to ping.runningconf.png

@paul driver  I have also attached the .pkt file with the original running configurations.

Hello,

it worked when I set the spanning tree priority for Vlan 99 on S1 to 0 (making that the root for this Vlan)...

Attached the revised project file...

Hello

For clarification, As I stated previously and so did @luis_cordova 

You were missing vlan 99 on the trunk between sw1/2 to be enable sw2 to connect to the other devices in this network, From what i can see there isnt any need to change any STP priority 

Sw1
int fa0/1

Sw2

int fa0/1
shut
no shut

Result connectivity to/from all switches/routers 

Kind Regards
Paul

I added Vlan 99 to the trunk, unshut interface Vlan 99, and it still didn't work. When I changed the priority to 0 on S1 for Vlan 99, I could ping right away. Might be a quirk in Packet Tracer...

@Georg Pauwen 

Possibly but with that topology on real hardware I would say you would not need to change the stp priority for communication, Only what was wrong was the SVI interface on S2 was down due to either not have a an active port in vlan 99 or that vlan not being allowed to traverse its L2 nterconnect or both, In this instance once the vlan was allowed the svi would came on line and communcation was restored.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card