cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Closed Network Routing Problem (Firewall subinterface vs VLAN interface)

parakiteiz
Level 1
Level 1

I recently took over a closed network used for development. One of my 3560 switches was being routed through 2 routers for the  development LAN. I took some fiber and hooked it back

Once I got the trunking sorted out due to the great guys on this forum (management vlan interface issue). I had to delete the unneeded HSRP interfaces on the switch. To be honest I am unsure of why they were there on a access switch anyways.  I then created normal vlan interfaces for my *.*192.0 subnet and my *.*193.0 subnet.  After that I still did not have routing working. I looked at the routing statements (why static routing is being used?) on the 6509 and most of them pointed to our firewalls (ip route *.*.133.0  255.255.255.0 *.*.0.253). I made the static routes for the 2 vlan/subnets on the 6509 and still no joy.

I got on the 5520 ASA and noticed that most of the vlan/subnets had subinterfaces on the firewall. So I create the 2 sub interfaces for the of *.*.192.1 and *.*.193.1  I now was able to ping hosts off of 3560. I went back to the other side and could ping hosts on the 193/193 vlan/subnets. Now if you noticed I have

This only problem I have left as you notice is I have the ip address 2 times for 192.1 and 193.1.  If I shut down the vlan interface on the 192/193 vlan/subnets I lose the arp table on the 3560. If I shut down the subinterfaces with the indentical ip address I then can longer ping the 192/193 vlan/subnets.  Right now with both the vlan interface and the subinterface of course I can not ping the *.*.192.1 and *.*.193.1. That's the only visible issue but I want to solve it.

Due to it being a closed network I can't pull to much off of it to put on here.   I tried to describe the issue as well as I could I hope it makes some sense.

1 Reply 1

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6

I believe a small network diagram will help us all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card