cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Command to see if a port was ever up and passed traffic

mbrunton77
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to find a command or counter to tell me if a cisco switch port on a 4510 was ever up and passed traffic.  I want to shutdown all unused switchports on our access switches.  But before I do that I need to make sure device is just not off or the person is away on vacation.  If I do sh int interface, is there a counter I can reference.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daniel Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

The

"sh interface counters"

should show you if any traffic has passed through a port since the last reboot or since the counters were las cleared on that interface. (Which you can check with "sh interface")

In a previous employment we had to clear the counters across the switch fabric and then check them 3 months later, any ports that had shown no increase were closed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Daniel Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

The

"sh interface counters"

should show you if any traffic has passed through a port since the last reboot or since the counters were las cleared on that interface. (Which you can check with "sh interface")

In a previous employment we had to clear the counters across the switch fabric and then check them 3 months later, any ports that had shown no increase were closed.

Hi ,

show interface x/x  >>>>> Last input and outpuit counters

Dan

Use "show interface link "  , that tells youi when it was last used.  Only valid on the 4500 series switches... Don't know why they never ported that useful command to their other products...

Hi Glen,

I didn't knew about this command. Though the output is corelated with the uptime of the switch and gets the same result of "show interface x/x | i Last in"

switch#s ver | i upt

switch uptime is 24 minutes

switch#show interfaces Gi1/1 | i Last

Last input never, output never, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

switch#show int link | i 1/1

Gi1/1                     24 minutes 57 secs      00:53:54  Tue Sep 27 2011

switch#

On the show interface you see that Last input is never, because it takes the starting point the time when it got up.

Regards

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card