cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Communicate between subnets

Praja9
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SG500-28P switch and a number of layer 2 switches in my office network. Currently, we are using 10.202.0.1/23 and 10.202.1.1/23 networks. I need to configure 10.202.2.1/24 network and also communicate with the remaining network. What would be the proper core switch configuration for routing between subnets?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- This thread will give you a number of guidelines :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/how-to-configure-route-between-two-subnets-on-2960-s/td-p/1961733

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you, I will have a look.

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Assuming the new VLAN ID is 3 and Gi1 is connected to one of your Layer two switches which requires this new VLAN, the config will look like:

!
vlan 3
!
int vlan 3
  ip address 10.202.2.1 255.255.255.0
!
int gi1
  switchport trunk allowed vlan add 3
!

Assuming you do not have ACLs applied on the other two SVIs, you should have inter-VLAN communication with VLAN 3.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi, thank you for the prompt reply.

I'm a little confused about vlan creation. 

Currently "show vlans" command says no vlans configured.

"show ip interface brief" shows two interfaces as up, but no vlans. 

Do I need to create a new vlan for the new subnet?

The new subnet is not on a single layer 2 switch but on several switches connected to the core switch.

In which case those two existing interfaces must be routed interface.

Can you share the output of sh ip int br ?

Can you give details of the topology, ie how the switches are connected? This will help us determine is an SVI or routed interface is appropriate for your new subnet.

LVAA#sh ip int br
Interface                                   IP-Address         OK?         Method                     Status                      Protocol
Embedded-Service-Engine0/0 unassigned         YES          NVRAM           administratively down            down
GigabitEthernet0/0                   10.139.1.25        YES          NVRAM                        up                             up
GigabitEthernet0/1                   10.202.0.1          YES          NVRAM                         up                            up
GigabitEthernet0/0/0                unassigned         YES          NVRAM             administratively down         down

please find the attachment.

Hello,

what are the exact models you have ? The SG500X/SG500XG/ESW2-550X do IPv4 routing, I think. What is the core switch you have (e.g. 4500/6500) ?

By the way, 10.202.0.1/23 and 10.202.1.1/23 are the same, that is, part of the same, large subnet.

yes, it is the same network.

core switch SG500-28P

others SF100-24

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card