cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure 2960 switch outside my firewall for routing

sanchezeldorado
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I have a Cisco WS-C2960G-24TC-L switch placed outside my firewall. We already have two ISPs but we're now adding a 1Gbps Centurylink fiber link. They are requiring us to provide equipment to route a /30 on the outside to a /27 on the inside. The inside goes to my firewall. My switch isn't currently doing routing and has a single interface for management. This network is 24/7, So I have a few questions to make sure I'm doing this right and don't mess it up royally. 

1. The switch currently isn't able to add ip routing. I read that I need to run "sdm prefer lanbase-routing" and reboot the switch. Are there any potential downsides to this? 

2. I want to make sure I follow any security best practices. If I enable routing, I want to make sure it doesn't route any traffic through my management vlan. What routes/default gateway/ACLs would I need?

3. Is there any reason it may be better to use either a different model of switch or a second switch?

Thanks!

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- In general switches are not good for routing  , have the subsequent-vlans (for the segments) terminated at the firewall too and let that handle the routing or use a separate router on  the perimeter, 'closest' to the ISP(s)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- In general switches are not good for routing  , have the subsequent-vlans (for the segments) terminated at the firewall too and let that handle the routing or use a separate router on  the perimeter, 'closest' to the ISP(s)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card