cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Fibere Connections Between 2 Cisco Switches?

205000jag
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are about to extend our network on Site-A from the 3rd floor 5th floor we are going to do that by running 2 fibre channels from the existing comms room on 3rd floor up to a new small comms cabinet on 5th floor.

At each end of the fibre cable runs we will have a Cisco 3560G series 48-port PoE switch. Each switch will have two "Cisco GE SFP, LC connector SX transceiver GLC-SX-MM"s which are the fibre modules to patch the fibre cables in to.

The two switches are currently being used in Site-B so will need to be re-configured onto the Site-A with 10.5.1.x subnet.

I am confident for the re-configuration but for the fibre connections I havn't done it before. Could any one please guide me what will be the configuration commands to configure fibre connections. ??

Say I plug the cables and connectors, will that configuration be on Gigabit ports?

Your help will be highly appreciated. As I have 2 days left to accoplish this task.

Thanks in Advance.

Sohail

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

If you are just extending the network without any new VLAN creations at the new location, then you do not need to do anything. Just configure the fiber port to be in the same vlan as rest of the network will be. If you have multiple VLANs, then you need to configure the ports as trunks.

Interface gi 0/49

Switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Switchport mode trunk

Exit

This configuration needs to be entered on both sides to ensure that they both act as trunks and allow all VLANs. In general, I would suggest using the trunk configuration as it would allow you to expand in the future without any service interruptions.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

View solution in original post

Hello,

If you are using a single VLAN, then there is no special configuration

needed on the interface. You can connect the fiber directly and it should

work. Please make sure that the port is assigned to the proper vlan (the one

you are using).

Regards,

NT

Hello,

If you are using only VLAN 1, then you do not need to make any changes. Just

make sure that the ports are up once you connected the cables.

Regards,

NT

5 Replies 5

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

If you are just extending the network without any new VLAN creations at the new location, then you do not need to do anything. Just configure the fiber port to be in the same vlan as rest of the network will be. If you have multiple VLANs, then you need to configure the ports as trunks.

Interface gi 0/49

Switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Switchport mode trunk

Exit

This configuration needs to be entered on both sides to ensure that they both act as trunks and allow all VLANs. In general, I would suggest using the trunk configuration as it would allow you to expand in the future without any service interruptions.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Thanks for the response and help NT,

No we are not willing to configure any new VLAN,  it will be existing VLAN.

For the configuration of fiber ports in the same VLAN, is there any specific commands? or is juts plug and play? Could you also please advise here too.

Please accept my appologies if i am sounds stupid.

Thanks

Hello,

If you are using a single VLAN, then there is no special configuration

needed on the interface. You can connect the fiber directly and it should

work. Please make sure that the port is assigned to the proper vlan (the one

you are using).

Regards,

NT

Thank you so much NT, very helpfull info, much appreciated. You are a star.****

One last question, when you said make sure port is assigned to proper vlan the one we are using? I am sorry I miss understand this, We are using only one vlan which VLAN 1 , so will it make any difference on the ports ??

Thanks

Hello,

If you are using only VLAN 1, then you do not need to make any changes. Just

make sure that the ports are up once you connected the cables.

Regards,

NT

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card