Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Configure Sup On Different Model 6500 Chassis

mfarrenkopf
Beginner
Beginner

I have a sup720 for which I have developed a configuration. I need to apply the config to the sup. Circumstances being what they are, however, I only have a 6506 chassis available and the configuration will be used on a 6509 that is in production right now. In production, there will be blades in 7 and 8. On the 6506, I won't be able to apply those parts of the configuration.

On a 3750, it's possible to specify a member number and a switch type with a provision command, then set up the ports even though the hardware doesn't yet exist in the stack.

Is there such a facility on the 6500 series (be able to specify a config for a blade that doesn't exist)? I've found a "module provision" command, but it's not clear to me how it's used and it doesn't look anywhere near as comprehensive as the command on the 3750 (it doesn't appear I can specify the blade that will be going into the slot).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mohamad Qayoom
Participant
Participant

I don't think that you can do that on 6500's. On 3750's you can specify a member number because 3750 series switches have stacking capabilities.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mohamad Qayoom
Participant
Participant

I don't think that you can do that on 6500's. On 3750's you can specify a member number because 3750 series switches have stacking capabilities.

Indeed you can provision modules on a Cat6500. It's been recently introduced with the VSS feature.

Search for 'module provision (virtual switch)' in the command lookup tool.

Just now I had the challenge to remove a provisioned config from a VSS member switch, since I moved a module within that member and its config remained sticky (= provisioned) in the running config.

To remove leftovers of modules you don't want to see in the running config anymore, you need to issue this command:

default module provision switch 2

To see the status of provisioned and on-line modules, issue the following command:

sh module provision switch 2

Regards

Toni

Thanks Toni.