Helpful
Replies

Configure Vlans & Trunk on 2924

srikanth ath
Level 4
Level 4

Experts,

2924 XL switch connecting to 2960 switch

the switch 2924 running with IOS version 11.2  standard version. As of now it is running on default vlan1 and the connected port to 2960 is also on default vlan. I wish to make this port as trunk port but the (config line doesnt accept switchport mode trunk). . can you please help me on how can i configure the connected port to 2960 as trunk port

I can see this version support multi-vlan but can i use this multi-vlan concept as like a trunk port to connect the switches.

the same switch 2924 doesnt support configuring vlans as like vlan database in exec mode. Im running couple of vlans on my network and i got to make this switch as vtp transparent and configure all the ports as switch port with vlans.

Is there a way to configure vlans, vtp on this switch.

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For a couple of vlans and a couple of switches you really don't need to worry about VTP.  VTP is used when you have lots of switches and lots of vlans.  As for the command not working. what is the error message you get.  Have you tried enabling dot.1q encapsulation first and then switchport mode trunk?

HTH

This is a very old switch commands like dot1q doesnt work on this.

RKVSGSW111T5(config)#int fa 0/24
RKVSGSW111T5(config-if)#swi
RKVSGSW111T5(config-if)#switchport mo
RKVSGSW111T5(config-if)#switchport mode ?
  access  Set trunking mode to ACCESS unconditionally
  multi   Set trunking mode to multi-VLAN mode

RKVSGSW111T5(config-if)#switchport t
RKVSGSW111T5(config-if)#switchport t?
% Unrecognized command
RKVSGSW111T5(config-if)#switchport trunk?
% Unrecognized command
RKVSGSW111T5(config-if)#switchport trunk

Vlan creation is entirely different in 2924 switches, where this has to be created in the exec mode under vlan database. This is vast network and i have just given example as we are of running two vlans, in real time  there are arround 50 vlans.

RKVSGSW111T5#vlan dat?
% Unrecognized command
RKVSGSW111T5#vlan?
% Unrecognized command
RKVSGSW111T5#vlan

Trunking :

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I wish to make this port as trunk port but the (config line doesnt accept switchport mode trunk).

interface <BLAH>

switchport encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

interface <BLAH>

switchport mode trunk

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
the same switch 2924 doesnt support configuring vlans as like vlan database in exec mode. Im running couple of vlans on my network and i got to make this switch as vtp transparent and configure all the ports as switch port with vlans.

Upgrade to 12.0(5)WC17 IOS.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card