Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure VRF on 6500 using OSPF only

Is it possible to create a VRF using only OSPF as the routing protocol on a private network?  I've only been successful using BGP and redistributing OSPF.  I've inherited a network that had BGP configured for Public routes, but has since been dismantled, yet BGP is still being used to redistribute OSPF routes on our private network.  I would like to move away from BGP and use OSPF only.  Thus the reason for my initial question.

Regards,

Chris

9 Replies 9

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Chris,

I am not able to fully understand your question however I might know what you are looking for, so have a look on this link:http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_ospf/configuration/15-sy/iro-15-sy-book/iro-sup-vrf.html#GUID-BDA07C45-20B3-4C59-A236-C2782A49700E

Otherwise, please let us know more.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

That could be what I am looking for.  Let me test and get back to you.  I just wanted to confirm that BGP was not required for VRF configuration/operation on Cisco 6500s.

FYI - I was able to get this working with the solution described in the this article:

http://packetlife.net/blog/2009/apr/30/intro-vrf-lite/

I have read the article you linked above and performed some testing.  I have done some further research, and must clarify that the VRF I configured is not utilizing an ISP link.  This VRF is all internal on CE routers, no PE routers, so all my connections for the VRF are internal CE-CE. 

I still cannot get the VRF to populate the routing table with the OSPF routes on interfaces I have configured for the VRF.  If i configure BGP to redistribute the routes, then the routing table populates fine.  However I do not want to use BGP.

Please advise.

Hey,

I need some more information on it:

1. Are you saying that OSPF routes from VRF are not populating the global routing table after redistribution or,

2. You are unable to see the routes with in VRF?

Regards,

RS.

I am unable to see the ospf routes in the VRF routing table. Thx

Provide the 'show run' from the router.

After additional research, it looks like I need to configure VRF-lite.  Please advise.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card