Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a 2960 cisco switch

Hi guys,

i've been through a discussion with my collegue here regarding a Cisco 2960G Switch for its configuration method. We're wondering if there's any diffrences in between configuring the switch with the web interface or Cisco Network Assistant versus the telnet method with console cable? Is it better in console or it doesn't change anything??

Thanksa lot

Bruno Villeneuve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dale Sanderson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bruno

Alot of people have their own views on which is best - the web interface or manually configuring and I guess it's just down to how you work.

I personally prefer using the CLI as it seems to give you alot more granular control over commands etc.

However, the CCENT/CCNA exams do now require you to have exposure to the SDM web interface for NAT based config; so at some point it will always be best to have a play around and become accustomed to the layout - that's if you are looking down the certification route!

The express set up in my eyes should not be used - although it will get the switch up and running quite fast you lose the ability to be 100% sure of what commands have been set straight off.

One last thing to note; you cannot telnet to the switch until you have configured an SVI - you use the console cable with a program like hyperterminal or putty with a serial based console session and then setup telnet access.

CLI for the win

Cheers

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Dale Sanderson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bruno

Alot of people have their own views on which is best - the web interface or manually configuring and I guess it's just down to how you work.

I personally prefer using the CLI as it seems to give you alot more granular control over commands etc.

However, the CCENT/CCNA exams do now require you to have exposure to the SDM web interface for NAT based config; so at some point it will always be best to have a play around and become accustomed to the layout - that's if you are looking down the certification route!

The express set up in my eyes should not be used - although it will get the switch up and running quite fast you lose the ability to be 100% sure of what commands have been set straight off.

One last thing to note; you cannot telnet to the switch until you have configured an SVI - you use the console cable with a program like hyperterminal or putty with a serial based console session and then setup telnet access.

CLI for the win

Cheers

Excellent. Thanks for the reply.

I'm also CLI hehe. It's more detailed and you're master of what you're doing.

Good day.

There are so many things you can do with CLI that GUI won't.

I guess that would take a long time saying what's different but .. do you guys think it's better configuring VLANs and stuff with CLI ? I'm thinking about the VLAN Ranges which is ascending default but looks completetly opposite... ascending is for VLANs from 1006 and up and descending would be from 4094 and down. By default, a switch gives ascending.. i don't get it lol

Because I'm having a hard time with a 2960G in a department of the office which i configured with CLI and VLANs for local equipments in 192.200.x.x. For example, the ports from 1 to 14 are in the VLAN3 and 15-20 VLAN1 (default). Everything looks fine but the devices connected in the VLAN3 are having problems transfering data to each other. They are Nuclear Medecine cameras and when the test is over, they have a computer to do a "recommit" to get the test. This part is not working fine.

Before we did the upgrade, the whole department was on a 10/100 cheap 8 ports switch. Everything was working fine! I then change the switch for a 2960 because it's the "core" of the closet its in - the main fiber entry. Since then, having packet loss and stuff.

I'm wondering if it cannot be the switch itself or the configuration I did on it. I ran CLI but with kinda basics commands.

What do you think?

I have seen a couple of common issues that can cause the slowness you are experiencing:

1. If someone disabled spanning tree and then looped their ports somehow, it will cause broadcast storms and make everything very slow. This isn't as common but I have seen it happen.

2. Remember to enable portfast on all of your access ports. If you don't have port fast and an interface resets, you will be waiting for close to a minute before your device is back online, this can be very costly.

3. Speed/duplex mismatch, in the ideal world its best to set everything to 100/full or whatever the best connection that your switch and devices are capable of. However do NOT specify the speed and duplex on one end and not the other, this is a recipe for disaster. Either go auto on both sides or set them both to the same speed/duplex.

yeah i did try to set it to every possibilities for the speed/duplex. The cameras are plugged into a little 10/100 switch like the one in the IT closet i plugged back. Then with a crossover i goes to the wall, then to the switch. Anyways, i think i'll have a full reconfiguration with another switch to eliminate the possibility of a broken switch or configuration.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card