cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confusion about STP forwarding state

STEVE1445
Level 1
Level 1

I am working out a lab where I have 2 4506e core switches and 3 3750 access switches. Each access switch is connected by a fiber connection to one of the core switches. For example G1/0/49 goes to Core A on Gig2/1 and G1/0/50 goes to Core B on Gig2/1.  L2 configuration with a L2 EtherChannel between the core switches as members of Po1.

When all switches are operational, I can check each switch to see the trunk status, all VLANs (each switch has its own VLAN, VLAN1 through VLAN5) are part of the management domain and are allowed on the trunk.  However, on two switches, when it comes to VLANS in a spanning tree forwarding state some of the VLANs are missing (pruning is turned off) or simply report "none".

My confusion comes from, obviously not knowing STP very well and reading Cisco information that seems to point that when a backup port is in a blocking state (and I would assume in a L2 environment) that all is normal. As you want the port not to pass transit traffic and to move into a forwarding state if the root port on that switch (the other fiber connection) should go down.  I can verify this by unplugging the fiber from the root port to see the VAN go down and come back up, with the formally backup port now fully operational. BTW all VLANS and trunks are operational.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Or should I see all VLANs in the spanning tree forwarding state (I do have one switch that reports this way) and what I am seeing is the result of a built in loop somehow?

Anyone who has experience with this, I'd like to hear from you.

Configs are attached with:

sh int trunk

sh config

sh vtp status

sh spanning-tree detail

sh etherchannel

sh int po1

realized access switches were not set to client, no change in problem.

3 Replies 3

r.kukreja
Level 1
Level 1

your 4506e shoould be in server mode and 3750 in client mode

can you post show spanning-tree detail, etherchanel summary, vtp status  of each switch

Regards,

Rajat

kapathak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Steven,

What is your primary query? Is it about VLANs not being in a forwarding state at all on two switches? On a switch, you should ideally see all ports in a VLAN  in forwarding state if its the Root for that VLAN.

Cheers!

Kapil

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Steven,

Make sure that you have all vlans configured on that particular switch.

As pointed out above VTP is good way to maintain the integrity of your vlans accross your network.

Perhaps you could share the config of the faulty access switch and one of your core switch.

Thanks,

Fabio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card