Helpful
Replies

Congestion Management

olqtro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I found in "Cisco IOS Quality of Service Solutions

Configuration Guide" that "WFQ is not supported with tunneling and encryption because these features modify the packet content information required by WFQ for classification."

So, does it mean that I can't change IP precedence for some traffic (and then use WFQ), encrypted by other device and coming through Cisco router only as through router (not encrypted by router)? Because I can lost the important packet information and so the traffic wouldn't be decoded on other side of VPN channel?

Thanks,

Olga

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I think what it means is that you can apply QoS to the tunnel itself in the intermediate routers, but not to the traffic going through the tunnel. I don't think it means that the QoS would modify the tunnelled traffic, but it means that the tunnelled traffic is already modified in such a way that you cannot do QoS on it.

That's my interpretation - does anyone know differently?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

tsettle
Level 3
Level 3

Some platforms, such as Cat6k with VPNSM, will actually copy the DSCP into the header of the tunnel packet so that QoS can still be performed on the traffic downstream. You should also look into features like qos pre-classify.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fqos_c/fqcprt1/qcfvpn.htm

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card