cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connect 2 cisco switches in different rooms to one asa

vdevese011
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.  I have a very small network currently with one each:  ASA-5508 Firewall and a 2960x switch (48 port).  I have 4 vlans on the network and everything is working fine.

We just bought a temporary trailer for some of our employees to work in while the building is remodeled.  I need to add a switch in the trailer in order to connect the network back to the building, so I purchased another 2960x (24 port).  I know that I cannot use stacking between the switches, and will need to set them up on the network as separate switches.  My question is, whether or not I can add to configure the 2nd switch vlan for that group identical to the 1st or do i need to create a new vlan for the people in the trailer... and if so, do I add the new vlan to my asa an how do i set up routing to that group...

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The easier way to do this is to add the new switch to one of the existing vlan/subnet if you have enough IPs. This way you don't have to worry about a new vlan,  new subnet, and firewall configuration.

Question: are you connecting this new switch to another switch or directly to the firewall. If it is to another switch, you can just configure a trunk port between one of the existing switches and the new one and use an existing vlan and if directly to the firewall, you should be able to do the same as long as the firewall supports layer-2.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card