Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect router/firewall to a voice vlan

Rhys Davies
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to connect a router to a voice vlan port to allow all voice traffic to exit the VLAN without having to transverse onto the data vlan and use its gateway.

However any device I assign to a voice vlan port is ignored by the switch if it isn’t a phone. This must be a common question and I have one worded differently in the voice forum but as it seems a basic networking question I thought I would add it here too.

Switches – sg500x

Router/Firewall – ASA5512

Desperate for some direction on this. Not cli but general guidance on how this should work.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Not familiar with sg500x, but if you have 2 vlans on the sg500x switch, you need to make the connection to ASA-5512 a trunk port, so both voice and data vlan can reach it.  The other option is to use a separate physical link (one for voce traffic and one for data traffic) from the switch to the firewall and add each vlan to a proper port/link.

HTH

Thanks Reza

Yes the port I am using is in trunk mode.

Also I have made a sub interface on the ASA and assigned it to the voice vlan but no luck.

Sub interface now working once I deleted all the detail from the phyiscal interface as in this thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2206103

Can't mark my own answer as correct..........

No but we can

Great thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: