cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect unmanaged switch to a managed port

akshaycjoshi
Level 1
Level 1

I have one SG-300 8 port managed switch and have around 10 d-link unmanaged switches.

Out of them I have to create a network of 5 VLANS (2 unmanaged switch per VLAN).

For each VLAN, I can daisychain 2 unmanaged switches and connect them to a port in managed switch. That port will be assigned to a particular VLAN.

Now how can I configure that managed port such that it will interpret all frames received on that port to be part of that VLAN.

It is neither a access port (because a switch is connected to it) nor trunk (since the connected switch is unmanaged it cant send tagged frames).

I can make a particular VLAN, default VLAN so that untagged frames received on that port will be considered part of default vlan but it cant have a default vlan per port.

I hope my question is clear.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So all ports in Unmanaged1 and Unmanaged2 would belong to VLan2, right ?

That is correct.  And the port that connects to the managed switch will be configured as an access port.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unmanaged switch1 connects to unmanaged swtch2, and unmanaged switch2 connects to managed switch carrying only one vlan. Then you just need to configure each port on the managed switch as access port.

HTH

Port 1(switchport mode Access (VLan2)-->Unmanaged1-->Unmanaged2

So all ports in  Unmanaged1 and Unmanaged2 would belong to VLan2, right ?

So all ports in Unmanaged1 and Unmanaged2 would belong to VLan2, right ?

That is correct.  And the port that connects to the managed switch will be configured as an access port.

HTH

Thank you Reza !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card