cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 separate switches together

Rsbell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello can someone assist me before testing in a live production. What I want to do is connect 2 different switches together - c3750 and c9300. I know I can't stack them since connectivity on back is different. My c3750 has its default vlans and multiple others (including a network camera vlan) on it. My c9300 has its default vlans and network camera vlan (only vlan I need on this switch, unlike the other 3750).

Can I simply just connect one port from switch to switch? or would I need to trunk both ends?

Essentially, the c9300 is only going to be used for additional camera ports-one network and nothing else. 

My future goal is to get the c3750 upgraded down the road for stacking but this is what I am working with for now.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Up to but yes you could just use access ports ie. you don't have to interconnect switches with trunks. 

Bear in mind though that you may want to have a management vlan for your switches and even if you don't if you did decide later on you wanted another vlan on that switch you would need a some downtime to convert to a trunk link. 

If you do use a trunk link watch out for the VTP revision number unless of course you are using VTP transparent mode. 

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Up to but yes you could just use access ports ie. you don't have to interconnect switches with trunks. 

Bear in mind though that you may want to have a management vlan for your switches and even if you don't if you did decide later on you wanted another vlan on that switch you would need a some downtime to convert to a trunk link. 

If you do use a trunk link watch out for the VTP revision number unless of course you are using VTP transparent mode. 

Jon

Ok that helps me understand much better. Thanks for the quick response to this!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card