Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2960S-24PS-L to 2960-48TC-L

rhenarie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am "attemtping" to connect a 2960-48TC-L to a 2960S-24PS-L using SMF modules.  I have tried both, the GLC-FE-100FX and GLC-GE-100FX modules and each time, the 2960-48TC drops connectivity via the SMF port.  I have had to connect via copper.  The only thing I can see happening on either switch is that the 2960S encounters "Stack Packet Errors".  Any idea of why this is happening?  I have tried all the various combinations of modules FE to FE, GE to FE, GE to GE and all produce the same result.

I saw something "2960 Data Sheet" in "Table 6" that the "*The Cisco Catalyst 2960-S with SFP+ does not support the GLC-FE-100BX, GLC-FE-100FX, or GLC-FE-100LX." - further in the document - Table 15 - it shows these compatible as well as in the "Module Compatibility Matirx".

What does the "SMF+" mean?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

chris.macleod
Level 1
Level 1

Have a look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

Some 2960S Switches have SFP+ slots  - 10GB SFP+ mobules can be used with these switches

The models you listed only have SFP slots so the passage you quoted would suggest your modules would work.  What GE module have you tested with?

Thanks

Chris

I have tried the only the GLC-GE-100FX.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are using SMF then you should be using  GLC-FE-100LX on both ends.

How far are the distances?

The distance is only 1 ft as they are in the same cabinet and I have tried using the GLC-FE-100FX on both ends as well as the GLE-GE-100FX on both ends.  I have even swapped the A&B in the LC cable and no help.

1 feet away?  Then GLC-FE-100FX should be used.  Now both the 2960 and 2960S support this module.  But are you sure your patch cable is a multi-mode cable?  Is your cable faulty?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card