Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting a PC directly to 2610 serial port

rleyba828
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was able to borrow a 2610 that has 1 Ethernet, 1 aux and 1 serial port. I want to practice routing on the two interfaces -- serial and Ethernet and I want to do this at home. The ethernet side is easy but what cable and/or special configuration do I need in order to connect a PC on the smartserial(?) connector of the router?

Many thanks.

4 Replies 4

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Your best chance for success is going to be a PC running Unix/Linux running routed ("route-dee" which is essentially RIP) or gated ("gate-dee" - essentially OSPF).

The serial interface of the *nix machine should be set up for SLIP (a protocol for running IP over an async serial connection) or PPP.

You'll need to run the connection ASYNC because Sync serial interfaces for a PC are somewhat expensive.

It would be easiest to connect the PC through the AUX port, but it is limited to 38,400 BAUD (enough to play with).

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply....now that you mentioned AUX port, let me redirect my question.....what special cables would I need between PC and AUX port in order to route through that link?

thanks

--robert

Hi,

that's a very good idea Scott, I wish I had thought of it before when trying to setup a practice lab.

The standard console cable that comes with any Cisco equipment will work fine on the aux port Robert.

Regards.

thanks guys...will try that out.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card