Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting esx to Cisco 2960 to asa 5515

mirei daigatsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I hope someone can provide me direction as I am on my wits end. 

I would like to connect an esx host (vm are a mix of multiple vlans) to a switch cisco 2960 and the traffic shall be terminating into the asa5515. 

My question is how should I be configuring the switch and the firewall so that it can accept traffic coming from the esx and it will reach the asa5515? I intend the intervlan routing to be done by the firewall too. 

Is it possible? 

Many thanks in advance :) 

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should be possible to connect the esx host to the 2960 and connect the 2960 to an ASA5515 and to have the ASA do inter vlan routing. Am I correct in assuming that the esx host has a single connection to the 2960 that is operating as a trunk for the multiple vlans? If so then the port on the 2960 should be configured as a trunk. The 2960 should configure each of the vlans that are operating on esx and those vlans should be included in the trunk connecting to esx. You would then configure a switch port to connect to the ASA. This port should also be configured as a trunk and should carry all of the vlans that originate on the esx. You would configure an interface of the ASA as a trunk with multiple subinterfaces, one for each of the vlans originating on the esx. Configure appropriate IP addresses on each subinterface and your ASA should start doing inter vlan routing.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card