cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Multiple MST Regions.

robert.gillen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello this is my first post so excuse me and my knowledge on MST regions is going round and round in circles.

I Currently have 13 switches in partial mesh. I am on the boundary of these devices being in the standard STP "diameter". Due to the variability of  the connection I do not want to play around with timers etc. The Link is pretty critical so i dont want to take chances and the Links I have available and to which switches they go are fixed.

Anyway long story short.

If i devide the switching domain into.

############                                                         

# REGION 0 #    Partial Mesh

############                                                         

|                    |

|                    |

|                    |

Boundary       Boundary

Switch 1         Switch 2

|                    |

|                    |

|                    |

|                    |

|                    |

############                                                         

# REGION 1 #      Partial Mesh

############   

Will CIST Block off the link to from region 1 -> boundary 2 -> region 0.

and allow diameter of switches to be managed by each MST region??? or would the Boundary switches need to be apart of a specific region.

or possibly implement a layer 3 boundary where the boundary switches are.

This is a fairly odd STP operation design for me so i could be completely wrong in my esign and thoughts.

In advance thanks for any feedback and help given .

Regards Robert.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Robert,

I do not quite understand what you are trying to accomplish by splitting your network into several MST regions and your requirement about region diameter. You write:

I Currently have 13 switches in partial mesh. I am on the boundary of  these devices being in the standard STP "diameter". Due to the  variability of  the connection I do not want to play around with timers  etc

First of all, the notion of timers is irrelevant in MSTP as it is not driven by timers; rather, it behaves like a multi-instance RSTP (which it really is). Second, there is a notion of diameter in MSTP but it is just a hop counter for sanity checks - it is not directly influencing the convergence time. Within a single region, you can always manipulate the maximum region diameter using the spanning-tree mst max-hops command with the valid value in the range 1-255. Your current diameter of roughly 13 is not a problem. The default setting of this command is 20.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Robert,

I do not quite understand what you are trying to accomplish by splitting your network into several MST regions and your requirement about region diameter. You write:

I Currently have 13 switches in partial mesh. I am on the boundary of  these devices being in the standard STP "diameter". Due to the  variability of  the connection I do not want to play around with timers  etc

First of all, the notion of timers is irrelevant in MSTP as it is not driven by timers; rather, it behaves like a multi-instance RSTP (which it really is). Second, there is a notion of diameter in MSTP but it is just a hop counter for sanity checks - it is not directly influencing the convergence time. Within a single region, you can always manipulate the maximum region diameter using the spanning-tree mst max-hops command with the valid value in the range 1-255. Your current diameter of roughly 13 is not a problem. The default setting of this command is 20.

Best regards,

Peter

robert.gillen
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Peter you have essentially answered my question anyway. I was still a bit confused on the RTSP convergence.

Cheers robert

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card