Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Routers and Switches

panchico123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there guys.

I am trying to connect two 2950's, a 3550 and 3 2621xm's without additional cost of involving an expensive 2512 server in a lab environment. Can someone suggest alternatives to connect all these devices so that they can be viewed simultaneously within secureCRT which I am using as a terminal emulator. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Chris

6 Replies 6

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi there guys.
I am trying to connect two 2950's, a 3550 and 3 2621xm's without additional cost of involving an expensive 2512 server in a lab environment. Can someone suggest alternatives to connect all these devices so that they can be viewed simultaneously within secureCRT which I am using as a terminal emulator. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Chris

Hi Chris,

Either you can separate Mgmt Netwrok vlan for all devices, Like connect 2950 with portchannel and 2*2621 routers with 2950 for HA , connect 3550 to one of the 2950 switch by connecting another 2621 router. Run a Mgmt netwrok routable and reachble form all device which can be access from Mgmt. Vlan from any PC.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate Helpful Posts

Hi there Ganesh. Sorry mate a bit of a novice at this. Can you explain what you mean by connecting them up. Do you mean just creating a separate mgt vlan for each device and then using crossover cable, daisy chaining them together to form a link? I want to be able to access them from my secureCRT connection via a console cable to my laptop.

cheers Chris

Hello Chris, I was under impression that these switches are not connected physically, If that is right then my above suggestion was to have connection for physical layer with cable connectivity. To have access for all devices you can either have separate VLAN or ip subnet (Mgmt. Vlan) which can be routed and accessible from your PC LAN. Check out below link which will give you an insight of how to manage devices using Management vlan http://www.freeccnaworkbook.com/workbooks/ccna/configuring-a-management-vlan-interface http://www.informit.com/library/content.aspx?b=CCNP_Studies_Switching&seqNum=19 Hope it Helps.. -GI Rate Helpful Posts

Hi,

Moving this conversation to Routing and Switching.

Thank you.

Hi there Marie.

Sorry, thanks for putting conversation in the correct discussion group.

Cheers Chris

Hi there Ganesh. Yes sorry should have mentioned they are physical devices. I have two 2950's, a 3550 & 3 2621xm's that I am trying to physically connect and manage from my laptop unit. Will take a look at the links and see if I can create separate management vlans per device and see if I can manage it from my laptop. Thanks again. Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card