Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting SMF fiber cable to a MMF port

r.subramani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a WS-X6816-10G-2T module with X2-10GB-SR modules. I will be getting a SMF hand off and the length of the termination is around 100 meters. (I will be getting another hand off for Inter-DC link for which I have X2-10GB-LR module). The question is can I connect this SMF hand off (short length) on the SR module? If so what is the penalty i.e. Signal Loss etc.

Thanks,

Ranganath

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, with SR module, you can only use Multimode Fiber and not SMF.

HTH

turnera
Level 1
Level 1

Multimode equipment will not launch (inject) enough light into a  single-mode fiber since the light carrying core of this fiber is only 9  microns in diameter compared to 62.5 microns in diameter for multimode  fiber. It's like connecting 50 ohm coax cable to a 75 ohm coax cable. The impedence mismatch basically kills the signal and you could end up damaging equipment over time as a result.

Your only true course of action would be to get SM to MM converters and then you would be ok.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card