Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting UC540 to an ADSL Modem

CSCO10992439
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Im working on a project to replace 877w router with UC540, I know it doesnt have ADSL port. Can I connect ADSL model to WAN port of the UC540? and if its possible, can I configure UC540 with ISP username and password for the ADSL dialing? I would appreciate the full commands to get this configured. Also, please let me know if this is not possible and if I have to get a ADSL router conected in front of the UC540.

Thanks,

Baher

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need an ADSL modem or router in front of the UC540.

CSCO10992439
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for your reply.

What about the UC520 then? I read so many configuration examples which it can be used with an ADSL model, does it have different port which enables it to do the dialing?...just wondering why UC540 cant while UC520 can do that, unless what I've read was wrong.....

Thanks for your help in advance.

None of the UC5xx had an ADSL interface, consequently you will need an external ADSL router or modem.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Hi Paolo,

Thanks again. I know they dont have a dedicated ADSL port, but what about the (pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1) command? take a look at this example from cisco..

vpdn enable

no vpdn logging

!

vpdn-group 1

request-dialin

protocol pppoe

!

interface Ethernet1

pppoe enable

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1 dial-on-demand

!

interface Dialer1

ip address negotiated

ip mtu 1492

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer idle-timeout 180 either

dialer hold-queue 100

dialer-group 1

!

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

!       

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1

So it can deal with PPPoE, when using (pppoe enable) command, then I can configure dialer interface and all ppp commands.......

The matter is, you still need an external ADSL modem/router.

Then if PPPoE or other method, that's just a configuration detail.

Well, now we're back to the same question, I have an adsl modem and not a router, so will the UC540 work behind an adsl modem? can it do the dialing with ISP username and password? as the modem is not configurable, its just a bridge between PPPoA and PPPoE, so will connect the phone jack to the RJ11 port of the modem, and the ethernet port of the modem to the wan port of the UC540......?

Yes. There various inaccuries in the example above:

vpdn commands not needed

dialer commands non needed

should be "mtu 1492", not "ip mtu".

You will also need pap/chap credential, NAT commands, ip mss adjust on internal interface.

Finally, if you don't protect you system, you will be exploited:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_tech_note09186a00809dc487.shtml

Hi Paolo,

Thanks again for your time and help.

I understand that this config is incomplete, it was just a copy/paste from cisco website to discuss if I can apply some of these commands on the UC540 to make it able to use ADSL modem  instead of a router. Also, all firewall policies. NAT rules will be applied appropriately.

Now can you please confirm whether this is actually doable or not? The thing is my client already ordered an ADSL modem, so if I have use UC540 to connect to this modem and configure the ISP credentials on it, otherwise, I will have to ask him to return this modem and purchase an ADSL router. Please confirm whether I can use it with a modem (and not a router or not) so I can mark the answer as the correct one!

Thank you!

If you check above, I have answered your question in my first post of this thread

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card