Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting vPC domain to upstream L3 Device running in HSRP

boysolo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Need advice on how to connect a vPC domain to HSRP enabled upstream device.

For example the following setup, where the gateway for vlan600-610 are configured on the Cat switches.

Do I need to configure additional settings on the N5k switches?topo_diag.png

Would really appreciate if someone could point me to the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

What you are showing in your diagram should work fine. Just layer-2 trunks on the 5ks connecting to the 4948 switches, and HSRP on 4948s. Make sure all vlans are part of vPC peer-link.

HTH

Hi, Reza

Thank you for replying.

Would like to ask additional questions.

1. When Cat4948_1 is the Active Router and a packet destined for a node somewhere on the internet passes through N5K_2 will it pass through the peer link to get to the gateway (VIP on Cat4948_1)?

server --> N5K_2 --> N5K_1 --> Cat4948_1 --> External network

or since both vPC peer device are forwarding traffic (if I'm not mistaken) will it travel through Cat4948_2 to get to the gateway (VIP on Cat4948_1)?

server --> N5K_2 --> Cat4948_2 --> Cat4948_1 --> External network

2. If there was an outage on Cat4948_1, the default gateway (hsrp VIP) will failover to Cat4948_2 but will the traffic from the server through N5K_1 pass through the peer link to get to the gateway (VIP on Cat4948_2)? 

server --> N5K_1 --> N5K_2 --> Cat4948_2 --> External network

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card