Replies

connectivity between vss

bluesea2010
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Between stackvise1 and 2  l3 connectivity ,

between core 5 and core 6  l3 

between site 1 and site 2  l3 connectivity . 

any pros and cons with the below  topology ? 

vss core layer.png

Thanks 

5 Replies 5

Hi

I see more pros than cons in L3 connectivity.  One Cons I can point is the impossibility of extend vlans.  I came across a few times with solution that required to be on the same vlan to work and this L3 scenario can be a problem, which does not happen with  L2 Port-channel between Core. For example,  F5 loadbalance requires a hearbit L2 connection.  And might exist many others.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do not need Layer 2 extention, i would go with Layer3, if you looking to go with Layer 2, then you need to look VSS domain numbers, Layer2 spann blocking.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wow.  That is excessive.  

I understand Stack 1 as the "core" but I do not understand the concept (or role) of Stack 2.  If Stack 2 was the "edge" of the core network, then I assume Stack 2 is a Distro.  So why are there two cables going from Core 6 to Stack 1.  

I find Stack 2 as being excessive and redundant.  

Hi @Leo Laohoo 

the core switches are 9500 port . the reason for stack 1 and 2 , there was downlink shortage  .Requires more than 48 ports for edge switches 

Thanks

Hi @Leo Laohoo @Flavio Miranda 

In site 2  

My total  stack number is 60 , and core preferred  is 9500x48 port 

if I don't want to use the stack vise virtual between core 1 core 2 ,  what is the alternative method for this ?

Thanks 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card