cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console connection to 2950 switch

apadilla85016
Level 1
Level 1
I have a console connection to my switch (an rg45 to serial) The serial is a flat ribbon dongle cable that has pins on the motherboard and uses a bracket. When i go into putty on my win 7 64 bit system . i just get a blank terminal screen. This is the second switch I have ordered from eBay and from a different seller. I also tried my fathers computer with a integrated serial port (part of the motherboard connections) and have the same result: a blank screen when i enter into my putty program. I also tried three different console cables with the same result . Could i be configuring the default settings wrong? - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12539896/console-connection-2950-switch#comment-10591291
I have a console connection to my switch (an rg45 to serial) The serial is a flat ribbon dongle cable that has pins on the motherboard and uses a bracket. When i go into putty on my win 7 64 bit system . i just get a blank terminal screen. This is the second switch I have ordered from eBay and from a different seller. I also tried my fathers computer with a integrated serial port (part of the motherboard connections) and have the same result: a blank screen when i enter into my putty program. I also tried three different console cables with the same result . Could i be configuring the default settings wrong? - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12539896/console-connection-2950-switch#sthash.GMBqx5Q1.dpuf
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

saif musa
Level 4
Level 4

I would recommend to use serial to USB converter so you will be able just to leave your serial port and uses console cable to USB port.  use putty as software and don't forget to install serial-USB driver. 

View solution in original post

33 Replies 33

MD KAFINUZZAMAN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi apadilla85016,

Check your com port number of your PC.

Or use tera term software . it will automatically choose  your serial number.

*** I think you are not use serial to usb converter.

Thanks

Kafi

I am not using a serial to usb converter. I have a 9 pin male port that is connected to a ribbon cable that has the other end connecting to com 1 pins on my motherboard. The serial port is also on a bracket. My com port is one and I have no conflicts in device manager when I look at my port. I have tried tera term as well as putty and changed the baud rates (matching the rates in device manager of course). Still no connection. This is the second switch (used) I have purchased. I also bought 3 console cables and still have the same problem. no initial config dialogue or anything else on my terminal screen.

Hi,

What is the  syst led and stat led status and if you connect Ethernet cable to any port and another to your pc what is the port led status?

I mean, is this device booting properly ?

Thanks

I'll have to wait till after work to boot switch to let you know the port led status. But the lights are green. I just get a blank screen when using putty to access switch

Hi,

I would suggest you to try out with Hyperterminal once. Since Win7 doesn't have Hyperterminal as that of WinXP, you could simply copy these two files from any WinXP pc to your Win7 pc and save them in a folder on your desktop.

1- Hypertrm.exe

2- Hypertrm.dll

With Regards

Chinmoy

I have and get the same blank screen but a connected message.

Hi,

If you have done this, and since it is your second refurbished switch with same issue, I would like you to follow up the following troubleshooting steps before going for next purpose :

1 - Connect the console and power on the switch and watch for any output on hyperterminal.

2 - If it is gibberish or nothing is coming up in hypertrm screen, then close it and change the baud rate from default 9600 to other value.

3 - Keep on changing the baud rate value untill you get any clear output in hypertrm.

4 - If still nothing shows up in display, connect your system in any of the port in switch.

5 - Use WIRESHARK or any other application to determine the IP ADDRESS of the switch if there is any.

6 - If there is any IP ADDRESS configured, configure your system accordingly and try to telnet it.

Hope any one of these would help you to troubleshoot the issue.

And if nothing works out among the given procedures, then sadly you would have to go for third switch. In the mean time check the continuity of your cable too (I am assuming that your and your DAD's system is fine :] )

With Regards

Chinmoy

I would echo what others have said and that is to check the COM port settings on the terminal program and make sure that you select the proper COM port.

One more thing to check is that the onboard serial port is enabled in the PC BIOS. Its possible that it is turned off. Check that there is a COM port in device manager and verify the COM port number.

One note... The terminal emulator program will always say "connected" weather you have an actual connection to the equipment or not. It has no way of knowing.

I have a serial port connected to the motherboard by a flat ribbon cable or a dongle cable. I can still check bios though. Thanks for the advice.

Also check that it is connected the correct way if the connector is not keyed. Pin 1 is on the side of the ribbon cable marked by a red stripe usually.

I have and pin 10 is not present so that the connector uses only 9 pins on the motherboard.

This discussion has been reposted to the LAN, Switching and Routing community.

Yes! Yes! Yes! it worked!!  I disabled and took the serial port with dongle cable off my motherboard. I had to find the right drivers which were not on the site I was told to go to but I used Google and and installed the USB to RS232 serial on my Win 7 64 bit system .Putty and Tera term put me in my switches initial config dialog page. MUCH MUCH THANKS TO YOU AND EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!

Yes! Yes! Yes! it worked!!  I disabled and took the serial port with dongle cable off my motherboard. I had to find the right drivers which were not on the site I was told to go to but I used Google and and installed the USB to RS232 serial on my Win 7 64 bit system .Putty and Tera term put me in my switches initial config dialog page. MUCH MUCH THANKS TO YOU AND EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: