cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Continue to supernet or not to supernet...

CSCO10203269
Level 1
Level 1

In the coming weeks we plan to install 2 new Cat3560s to serve as redundant distribution switches to an existing switch network comprised of Cat 3550's, 3548's & 3524's. We've also been given the go ahead to 'clean things up' during this process.

Their network is 10.60.4.0/22; subnets dot4, dot5, dot6 & dot7. Out of the 4 subnets dot4 has the most devices, about 80-90. The remaining subnets have about 40-50 each.

Other than it'd be easier to leave it as is, would there be any benefit to move away from the supernet and subnet 10.60.4.0 to four individual /24 subnets?

We'd like to make dot4 & dot5 'Data Center' subnets and 6 & 7 as 'User' subnets.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

It would be always better to subnet the /22 into /24s , so that the broadcast domain is reduced . One more thing , in case of any virus attack in the user subnets , it may also affect ur datacenter servers .You can also have some restrictions when you split into multiple networks.

Hope this helps.

regards

vanesh k

Thanks Vanesh.

I thought about the benefits in reducing the broadcast domain but I was trying to think about a more tangible reason mgmt will understand.

I think the virus reason will do the trick.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card