Views
Helpful
Replies

continuous rommon booted in Cisco sup2T 6509

mohammad saeed
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Guys,

Suddenly I got the secondary sup2T went out from redundancy and when i accessed through console directly I got continuos rommon booted and cannot stop it!

Output redirection is not supported at this level
rommon 432 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
*** line too large ***

what is the solution for it?

Thanks for all

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello, 

how old is the module ? End of life is 2012, so my guess is that your SUP is more than 10 years old ?

Can you switch the slots your supervisors use (slot 1 and slot 2) ? That would require some downtime, but if the secondary SUP2T works in slot 1 (provided it is in slot 2 now) at least you know that it is not dead...

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Hello,

have a look at the doc below:

Recovering a Catalyst 6500/6000 Running Cisco IOS System Software from a Corrupted or Missing Boot Loader Image or ROMmon Mode

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6000-series-switches/17050-14.html

Thnks George for fast reply, Actually I can not get as table rommon ...it's continuous with this message : System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(50r)SYS2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport Copyright (c) 2011 by cisco Systems, Inc. PYRAMID platform with 2097152 Kbytes of main memory rommon 1 > rommon 1 > rommon 1 > rommon 1 > rommon 1 > System Boots>>>>> System Boots>>>>> System Boots>>>>> System Boots>>>>> System Boots>>>>> System Boots>>>>> System Boots>>>>> S *** line too large *** Output redirection is not supported at this level rommon 2 > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > s *** line too large *** Output redirection is not supported at this level rommon 3 > em Boots>>>>> > > em Boots>>>>> > > em B

Hello,

can you rempve and re-insert the SUP ?

I did but the same issue! I press ctrl+break and when I type any letter it's written in loop without any result and continuous with this message again: 

rommon 2 > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > stem Boots>>>>> > s
*** line too large ***

rommon 3 > em Boots>>>>> > > em Boots>>>>> > > em Boots>>>>> > > em Boots>>>>> > > em Boots>>>>> > > em Boots>>>>> > > em Boots>>>>> > > e
*** line too large ***

Hello, 

how old is the module ? End of life is 2012, so my guess is that your SUP is more than 10 years old ?

Can you switch the slots your supervisors use (slot 1 and slot 2) ? That would require some downtime, but if the secondary SUP2T works in slot 1 (provided it is in slot 2 now) at least you know that it is not dead...

yeah it's old! I have two chassis the switch1 is working in slot5 

I tried in slot6 and rommon stable can write easily!

I made boot command and it's working but in slot6 not 5! 

shall I need to make both in same slot!

Hello,

so the SUP2T is working in a different slot ?  If so, there might be a physical problem with the backplane chassis. Do you have a free slot available that you can permanently use for the second SUP2T ?

I returned it back to slot5 and I can access to rommon stable, I booted manually through boot command and I can see router> 

but configuration is gone! shall I need to do it from scratch? 

Hello,

unless the config is saved in flash somewhere, or you have a backup somewhere, you probably have no other choice than to redo everything from scratch. Good that you got it working again !

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Console into the supervisor card and reboot. Post the entire boot-up process. We want to see what's going on with the line card.
Alternatively, raise a TAC Case.

I switched the SUP2T in slot6 was working fine and then returned it back to slot5 and working fine then I reconfigured the VSS and came back normal!

thanks for all

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card