cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy 3850 switch stack Config, and Priority Stacking

david.klein
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have 2960 stacks in our uplink closets at East.  We are going to replace them with all 3850 switches next week.  What I planned on doing is copying the current 3850 config at East campus MDF to the new switches in IDF and of course changing management IP and anything else I needed to change.  Can I copy the config and keep the QOS intact on the new 3850 and I also believe there was a auto software upgrade command I need to run before I put each new switch in the stack.

The big question I have is this.  I want to make sure I get the switch priority correct so that Switch 1 is actually switch 1 and contains ports G1/0/1 – 48, and Switch 2 is actually Switch 2 and contains Switch ports G2/0/1 -48, etc , etc.  I also want to make sure that if a switch should go bad in the middle of the stack and I need to replace it, I want to know if I just basically run the auto software command give it the same switch priority, put it back in place, and it gets the same Numbers on the switch ports when I put it back in place.

I should be able to handle port channel and everything else.  Any other input would be appreciated

Config I will be transferring to new switch stack is attached.  Figured I can transfer config then change switch priority, and command "software auto update" then add to switch stack

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Don't copy the QoS because the QoS settings for a 2K is totally different to a 3K.

Actually the config I am copying from is a 3850 Switch. I am not copying from 2960 to 3850 config. Will QOS be fine then?

Don't copy the QoS.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card