cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

copy xx.conf to packages.conf

chinkevi
Level 1
Level 1

i have cat9000 doing upgrade but i'm also testing downgrade procedure.

lets say upgrade from 16.6.6 to 17.6.4.

so without "install remove inactive" so i have both old and new versions of pkg files in bootflash.

i noticed there are conf files in the flash:

> cat9k_iosxe.17.06.04.SPA.1.conf

> cat9k_iosxe_npe.16.06.06.SPA.conf

if i want to downgrade, can i safely copy the cat9k_iosxe_npe.16.06.06.SPA.conf to packages.conf then reload?

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i would suggest to follow downgrade procedures, (your idea good, but some time things may go wrong)

You do not need to remove inactive packages of OLD IOS XE until its fully upgraded and tested.

Hope this helps you.

Note: I have tried the packages.conf replacing, some worked as expected, and some gone into ROMMON.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

yea, the downgrade process will need to do "install remove inactive", which will remove all bin files and older inactive pkg, and would have to redownload the bin file again.  I'm trying to find a way to reuse older pkg files already in the system.

doesn't sound like replacing packages.conf is that safe from your test.

if this is LAB you can try any possible way to learn and see the best to fix it,

if this is Live I do not like to take the risk of replacing the switch for simple mistakes we do to prove something is working.

i follow standard advice on the procedure to rollback. One should take a call on what works. if both the .pkg files are available in the device and you have both packages. conf-available and verified the content of the packages.conf, you can try booting from old packages.conf file.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the command "dir flash:packages.*"

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card