cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Core switch lost its L3 cabability in Cisco Switch 4507R

arumugasamy
Level 1
Level 1

One of the core switches lost its layer 3 routing capability. The switch was working fine until the afternoon of 2nd of October when it stopped responding to pings. When connected through the console the switch is unable to ping any of the local or remote subnets/hosts. It doesn?t appear that any of the layer 2 switching capability has been affected by this issue as the hosts connected directly to this switch do not seem to be affected. Fortunately, this switch is not used as the default gateway for any networks, not VLAN interfaces are configured on it for this purpose, but I am concerned that this issue may be part of a greater issue on this device that may result in the chassis failing at some point in the near future.

Please could any one help me to find the solution to this issue.

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arum,

As you mentioned "this switch is not used as the default gateway for any networks, not VLAN interfaces are configured on it for this purpose" then how will this switch ping to any host?

May be I am not able to understand your question well but does this switch was having any layer 3 interface configured? Does this switch was doing any kind of routing?

Regards,

Ankur

mmunozrosas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Arum,

We have similary problem in our network. The switch is configured only in layer 2, the only vlan interfaces is vlan 7 . the switch lost conexion intermittently , is very

strange,

are you resolved the problem?

Thanks,

Regards,

Marco Muñoz Rosas

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card