Views
Helpful
Replies

Core Switch Modular

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dear Expert

i have a question here i  have an organization with modular core switch 6509 with sup720 in vss mode , so the total throughput becomes 1440 Tbps, we have existing  access switches and servers on that switch and a core firewall and everything works fine. now my plan is to replace 6509 with catalyst  950048Y4C and to move all the server which are on the core to the server farm switch Nexus 9300 or 9200 or 3000 series, and also i have voice router and other stuff such as like NTP appliance , Prime infrastructure, etc,etc, for these devices i am planning to have service layer switch catalyst 9300 which will be connecting with 10 gig interface to the core catalyst 9500, 

Please confirm to me is this a good design, until and unless if i don't require a higher throughput of switches i don't require a modular core switch, is it my thoughts are correct or there are other reason i need to have a modular core switch.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
PI won't work with 9500.
All developments to PI has been "migrated" to DNA Centre.
Talk to your AM/SE and see if they will give you a free DNAc appliance.

Dear leo

what do u mean bydont work with 9500, i was mentionig the cat 9500 the latest technilogy switches 

Please elaborate

PI does not work with 9500.

Have a look at the Supported Devices for PI 3.7 (see attachment).  Nowhere does it mention anything about 9400/9500/9600.

Wait-and-see if PI 3.8 does.

Dear Leo

in CCW estimate we can see the option of cat 9k family

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The moduler is Cat 96XX (but it's quite expensive - compare to old 68XX or 6500) - would prefer with Cat 9500 - with DNAC ( again DNAC is costing high too)

If you Looking to deploy SD -Access, the DNAC is good to go, along with Cat 9500/Cat9300.

If you looking traditional replacement with your Exiting 6K, then (9500 Core, 9300 As Access) - Look at the License model also.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: