cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Core Switch with 24 10Gbps ports (Cost <10,000 US $)

Rabnawaz Anwar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We want to upgrade our existing 1Gbps LAN network to 10Gbps network using Optical Fiber at core level connecting different building blocks.We are looking for Core switch with all 24 ports having 10Gbps. Please suggest if Cisco has any product with 24 10Gbps ports having price range below 10,000 US $.

Rabnawaz Anwar

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Layer 2 or Layer 3?

Layer 2:  WS-C3850-48XS

Thanx Leo for reply.

You have mentioned that WS-C3850-48XS have required functionality but according to Cisco article at http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/models-comparison.html there are two options we could go for WS-C3850-XS-E ip services model for layer-3 switch. is it right??

Secondly the model you proposed have total 48 ports but at this Cisco web page we have WS-C3850-24XS with 24 SFP+ ports and 12 optional 10GE ports.Can we go for this model as we have only 24 ports requirement??

My last question is can we use SFP + ports as 10 GE ports as according to Cisco it has 16 Gbps speed???

My last question is can we use SFP + ports as 10 GE ports as according to Cisco it has 16 Gbps speed???

Well, I recommended 3850 because the budget is <US$10K.  If you want a 24-port non-blocking 10 Gbps switch then I don't believe you'll find anything with this pain price-point. 

Next, your requirement does NOT specify you wanted a Layer 2 or Layer 3 switch.  There is an -S and an -E version of the 3850 and the -E is a Layer 3 image with limited Layer 3 functionality.  Again, your specifics (other than the budget) are very murky.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card