Views
Helpful
Replies

Correct network design and config for 1921 with SG200

omarcouri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have tried searching through the posts for my answer and somehow putting together various posts to achieve this but I'm not an expert and simply end up getting confused.  I hope you can help.

First, the network setup for an apartment block:

Internet --> Cisco 1921 router  --> Cisco SG200 --> Cisco SG200

Each of the SG200 layer 2 switches has 17 apartments attached to them where each apartment has it's own consumer-grade home router providing DHCP within the apartment, and three or four apartments simply have one computer connected directly to the wall port without a router or access point.

VLAN's and DHCP are coming from the SG200's.

The problems:

1. Routers and computers (those not using routers are visible to each other) on the network despite each apartment having it's own VLAN

(almost like everyone sitting on the same VLAN).

2. Often everyone loses connection to the internet. This is only resolved if they disconnect the cable from the wall port, restart their own modems and plug the cable back.

The questions:

1. Should the VLAN's be coming from the 1921 or the SG200's?

2. IF the current set-up seems ok to you then what can be changed to provide stability and hide apartments from each other?

I will be very thankful for your help and insight and of course will happily vote/rate all good assistance!

15 Replies 15

Just use the PVE then, that stops communications from port to port :-)

Leave uplink unprotected

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card