sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody.

Sw1---------------ipphone

|

|

PC

By default ip phone does not trust cos values received in frame from attached PC.  My book says we can use the command:

switchport priority extend trust  on a switch to instruct ipphone to trust COS  values from PC.

But how could Pc set COS values considering that there is no trunk link between iphone data port and PC?

thanks and have a great weekend.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Sarah,

I believe when they say that its most likely based on the assumption that you can configure the port on the iphone to be a trunk. I tested it once by configuring the phone port to be trunk and connected a switch behind it for testing ;-) and it seemed to have worked. Lets say your PC is running VM's in that case its acts like a server with multiple vlans and you can trunk it to the iphone etc. I guess you can test it in your lab or something.

HTH

Regards, Kishore

View solution in original post

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah,

switchport priority extend trust

With the command above you enable the phone to trust the priority it receives form the PC.If you apply

switchport priority extend cos 4

than the phone will override the default value of 0 to 4

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah,

In this case COS, value applies to the voice vlan.

sorry, your wirting appeard long after the picture.

HTH

Hi Sarah,

I believe when they say that its most likely based on the assumption that you can configure the port on the iphone to be a trunk. I tested it once by configuring the phone port to be trunk and connected a switch behind it for testing ;-) and it seemed to have worked. Lets say your PC is running VM's in that case its acts like a server with multiple vlans and you can trunk it to the iphone etc. I guess you can test it in your lab or something.

HTH

Regards, Kishore

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah,

switchport priority extend trust

With the command above you enable the phone to trust the priority it receives form the PC.If you apply

switchport priority extend cos 4

than the phone will override the default value of 0 to 4

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card