cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Could Switch be responsible for not passing DHCP to Wireless AP

abernathy
Level 1
Level 1

I have two WAP4410N plugged into my Catylist 3560 switches.

One of these switches is my Default Gateway for the LAN.

The only way I can get a device to connect to the WAP4410N is by assigning it a static IP.  Then it works perfectly.

I know this is pretty vague but if you need more details please let me know.

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Hello,

could you post your config of the AP?

In the mean time-

Is the dhcp server on the switch or a server and accessible?

Is there a dhcp relay enabled  for dhcp clients on another subnet than the ap?
is the access port connecting the ap on the correct vlan access port?

is the ap bvi interface set for dhcp client?

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

DHCP is a Virtual Windows 2008R2 Server on VLAN2.  It is accessible from any workstation.

The swich has three VLANS configured. One for Managment(VLAN1), one for my virtual servers(VLAN2), and one for my work stations(VLAN3).

The config for my ap is:

IP: 192.28.159.240 (A VLAN3 IP)

GW:192.28.259.25 (Catylist 3560)

DNS:192.28.159.8 (Physical Windows 2008 box)

DNS2:192.31.101.11 (Virtual Windows 2008R2 Box)

Hello -

can you post the config of the switch the ap and the server is connected to please

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

psiegling
Level 1
Level 1

Using a Windows DHCP, have you configured Option 43? We have found a need to set a temporary DNS entry for the controller so new APs can find it when they a brought online.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

edondurguti
Level 4
Level 4

Configure DHCP option 43 on Windows DHCP server. Thats how I join LWAPs to the controller :)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you running multiple SSIDs on AP the port between them needs to be a trunk. Make native VLAN a management VLAN. Configure APs interface to get it's IP by DHCP. Then it should be ok.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

Thank you for everyones responce.

Is there an easy way to post the config of a WAP4410N?

I have read on Microsofts web site that they do not recomend "Don't configure option 43 - only the vendor-specific options you need"

I am only broadcasting a single SSID from the WAPs

It seems like option 43 is for an access point requesting an IP address for itself.

I have fixed this issue.

I had to add a helper address (my DHCP server) on the switch acting as my Default Gateway.

For anyone else that may stumble across this here are the steps I took:

Logged into my switch

Switch>en

Password:

Switch#Config t

Switch#int vlan 28

Switchip helper-address 192.31.101.11

Mike

Thats good news-

Please rate any of the posts above that you think may have assisted you.

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card