cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating a PortChannel between 2 Cisco Catalyst 2960G-24TC-L switches

JCHandshaw
Level 1
Level 1

I want to run 2 cables between 2 identical Cisco Catalyst 2960G-24TC-L switches and configure them both active.

So I figure I need to create a PortChannel between them.

Do I need to establish the PortChannel/channel group on BOTH switches or just ONE (and the other switch passively 'receives' the Portchannel?)

Or do I set up both sides the same.

I ask, because when I did this, clients lost connection to our webservices (although my telnet connections to BOTH switches persisted), and I don't understand why.

PRIMARY SWITCH (connected to firewall)...SECONDARY SWITCH (connected to Primary switch)

interface Port-channel6                  interface Port-channel6

description PC2SN2                       description PC2SN1          (SN=ServiceNet)

switchport mode access                   switchport mode access

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/21            interface GigabitEthernet0/21

description PC2SN2                       description PC2SN1

channel-group 6 mode active              channel-group 6 mode active

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/24           interface GigabitEthernet0/24

description PC2SN2                      description PC2SN1

channel-group 6 mode active             channel-group 6 mode active

Of all the examples listed on the Cisco site there is no example of a simple same switch connection like this (everything else, but)

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jeffrey

You need to configure the port channel on both switches.

One thing though what vlan are the physical ports and the port channel meant to be in ?

You have used "switchport mode access" but you haven't configured the vlan for the ports eg. "switchport access vlan ".

I'm assuming you don't want a trunk link otherwise you wouldn't haven't used "switchport mode access" ?

Jon

What you have shown should work fine .   You can use LACP active mode or pagp   mode desirable non-silent?  Both work fine .  The way you have it only vlan 1 is allowed across the link  because you did not specify a specific vlan it will use vlan 1 by default.

JCHandshaw
Level 1
Level 1

Turns out the 'previous administration' had set up a mirror on port 21 which cause a looping havoc when I connected 21 to 21 using the PortChannel.  It should work now.

One last question

I had included "switchport mode access" in my configuration

jon.marshall said I didn't need that unless I was trunking Vlans, I'm not

so should I leave "switchport mode access" of of the configuration?

Jeffrey

said I didn't need that unless I was trunking Vlans

that's not what i meant.. I meant you had "switchport mode access" which is correct if it is not a trunk link but you haven't defined the actual vlan those ports are meant to be in ie. in addition to what you have you then define the vlan with -

"switchport access vlan "

Jon

Gotcha, thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card