cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

custom stackwise-480 cables lengths

ajamua
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to design a office with wireless-first network and a very small footprint. The office will have up to 500 employees and there are no plans for a physical ethernet port on each desk. The only wired devices will be POE for conference phones, access points, router, firewall and vm-ware infrastructure. There will be only two floors with a high density of access-points on each floor. I would like to use to cat9300 and use stackwise-480, but I am wondering if I can make custom cables to extend my stack between my two floors? I see the longest length listed is 3m but could it be extended longer and if so what is the maximum length I can extended the members within the stack?

3 Replies 3

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @ajamua 

My recommendation is to use standard stackwise cables and increase the length of ethernet cables.
This is to avoid possible failures in your devices.

Regards

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I doubt your custom cables would support the additional distance, and if they did, "sort of", they wouldn't be supported by Cisco.

Have you considered using a virtual stack?

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/q-and-a-c67-738577.pdf

Hello

Pity you couldn't go for Cat 3850,9400 or 9500 instead as they support stack-wise virtual so you can stack over fibre for quite a long distance.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco