cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DAI command options

Ben F
Level 1
Level 1

Studying for CCNP 300-115 and during my review I was exploring the options for dynamic arp inspection. I'm curious about the difference between "Sender MAC address" and "Single Sender host"....I can only spend so much time on Google so this seems to be a more effective way to get answers.

SWITCH-B(config-arp-nacl)#permit ip host 10.10.20.20 mac ?
  H.H.H  Sender MAC address
  any    Any MAC address
  host   Single Sender host

8 Replies 8

Rob Cluett
Level 1
Level 1

can you copy the output from the following?

"permit ip host 10.10.20.20 mac host ?"

I'm guessing the host command is not necessary and is there for backward compatibility.

I stand corrected.  You can create a mask for the MAC address implying multiple hosts.

I've set up Dynamic ARP Inspection (DAI).  Any idea's on the best way to test if it's working?

Hello

Any idea's on the best way to test if it's working?

As you are aware DAI works off dhcp snooping D/B, So what you can do is have say 3 hosts all on the same vlan and two of those to be dhcp clients and 3rd one with a static ip address.

Enable dhcp snooping and DAI, and then two dhcp hosts should be able to speak to each other due to the fact they will be binded to the snooping D/B and so DAI can match on it - however both dhcp hosts WONT be able to speak to the 3rd static defined host as no entry exists in the snoop D/B and as such DAI wont allow it.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

My understanding is that it can be done without DHCP Snooping enabled and the manner in which I  implemented it without came by way of a Cisco doc.  I'm finding that in my environment that some features do not work as they should (Cisco VIRL) so I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

Hello

Yes is can , In fact static arp inspection take preference over DAI via snooping D/B

If both are configured at the same time then the static will be read first.

example:
arp access-list STAN
permit ip host x.x.x.x mac host yyyy.yyyy.yyyy

ip arp inspection filter list STAN vlan xxx

Unusual to hear that in virl this isnt available -  I thought it was this was ciscos answer to GNS3  simulator?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello

Forgot to mention I actually purchased a student copy of viral but it incessantly complained about lack of memory , I only wanted to test ASAv simulations but it was getting on my nerves so I haven't tried to us it since.

How do you run yours - ESX hosting, hyper-V  and what cpu and memory are you using?

res
Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

I'm running it as a bare-metal cluster with two PowerEdge 2950's.  Total is 16 cores and 32 MB's RAM.  It's heavy on the RAM usage no doubt.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card