Views
Helpful
Replies

Dampening under Layer 2 Etherchannel

Palaniswamy P
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Just want to understand ,  if one of the Trunk links under port-channel(L2) is frequently flapping. Is there any features which can help in avoiding traffic loss passing the Etherchannel. Eg. keep the flapping interface in shutdown or suspended state.

Does enabling interface Dampening under the ether channel/Physical interface helps??

Regards,

Palani

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In general suggestion(with out looking what is your config and setup)

1. i look to fix the issue, why this is keep going shutdown mode and suspended mode.

find the reason the fix it, if not remove from Port-channel.

2. what is the error message you getting while shutdown and suspended state.

provide some information so we can understand the issue for better suggestion 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji

Let me explain,

Is there any mechanism by which the port part of port-channel can be automatically shutdown or suspended if it’s freqently flapping??  

In our case it’s a layer 2 port-channel (trunk).

i believe you can use EEM Script for this  based on the logs.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/cisco-eem-basic-overview-and-sample-configurations/ta-p/3148479

BB

hi,

this is also an interesting question for me too -- Does enabling interface Dampening under the ether channel/Physical interface helps??

quite sure that we could use the EEM for a lot of things, but maybe the configurtation of Dampening under the Layer2 Port-Channel Interface and/or the physical Member interfaces is already there to use for such a case?

EEM are quite usefull to understand, odd hours analysys and more when the things go wrong.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card