cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleted flash directory from 3560 and rebooted

Anthony65001
Level 1
Level 1

An IOS update on my 3560CG was interrupted, and when I attempted this again I was met with a 'unable to create temp dir flash:update' message.

I found this thread with a similar problem, and followed steps to remove the flash folder.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/deleting-a-directory-in-flash/td-p/1000278

After restarting the switch, this has made it worse as there is now no OS on the switch. The switch fails the POST and the SYST blinks approximately twice a second. I read on another forum about using X-Modem to restore the software. 

I have downloaded and installed Extra PuTTY and connected to the switch via COM3 (USB to console cable).

I have downloaded the .bin file that I require and started to follow the guide below. When I enter 'dir flash' I get the message 'unable to stat flash/: no such device' which I guess is because I have deleted the directory. How can I recreate it so that I can follow the rest of the instructions?

18 Replies 18

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to use dir flash: ( with colon)

follow below guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2950-series-switches/41845-192.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

It was the colon that I was missing - thank-you.

After the file successfully copied, I issued the boot flash:imagename.bin command, and have attached screenshots of this and the output. It has been running for 12 hours, and I haven't received the '

Press RETURN to get started!'

that I was expecting from the article. However, the SYST light is now solid green. Has this been successful?upgrade-1.PNGupgrade.PNG

That is too long, have you captured full logs of the boot, so post us to look.

if the device still not responding back to prompt as expected. so turn off the device, connect console, and post full boot logs

what is the output of dir flash:  (is the image copied and confirmed ?)

BB

The two screenshots are of the full process of my copying the .bin file and trying to install it.

Since then, I have powered off, and back on, and caputred everything in the attached PDF file. Current uptime is 6m30. There is a cursor flashing under the word 'executing...' and the SYST light is solid green again.

01.PNG02.PNG

I don't think I am able to type the dir flash: command as the cursor is just blinking. Pressing Esc or Enter has no impact.

Looks like you have boot system error here :

Loading "flash:/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz
.122-55.EX2.bin"...flash:/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2/c3560c405ex-univ
ersalk9-mz.122-55.EX2.bin: no such file or directory
Error loading "flash:/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2/c3560c405ex-universa
lk9-mz.122-55.EX2.bin"

Not sure you have right image(downloaded from cisco) ?

Lets Try powering up the switch, press the front button to reach 'switch:' prompt and boot manually

switch: boot flash:/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin

Capture all the boot Logs, let me know you able to boot success or not.

If boot success 

Switch#conf t

Switch(config)#no boot system

Switch(config)#do wr

Switch(config)#boot system flash:c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin

Switch(config)#do wr

Switch(config)#end

reload and test it.

BB

Connected with Putty and pressed the Mode button as instructed. I let the 'executing...' run for 10 minutes, and nothing changed. Here are the boot logs as requested:

Using driver version 1 for media type 1
Base ethernet MAC Address: f4:ea:67:e5:08:00
Xmodem file system is available.
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
Initializing Flash...
mifs[2]: 12 files, 1 directories
mifs[2]: Total bytes : 1806336
mifs[2]: Bytes used : 753152
mifs[2]: Bytes available : 1053184
mifs[2]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.
mifs[3]: 0 files, 1 directories
mifs[3]: Total bytes : 3870720
mifs[3]: Bytes used : 1024
mifs[3]: Bytes available : 3869696
mifs[3]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[4]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[4]: Total bytes : 258048
mifs[4]: Bytes used : 9216
mifs[4]: Bytes available : 248832
mifs[4]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[5]: 5 files, 1 directories
mifs[5]: Total bytes : 258048
mifs[5]: Bytes used : 9216
mifs[5]: Bytes available : 248832
mifs[5]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.
mifs[6]: 1 files, 2 directories
mifs[6]: Total bytes : 57931776
mifs[6]: Bytes used : 11872256
mifs[6]: Bytes available : 46059520
mifs[6]: mifs fsck took 7 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
done.
Loading "flash:/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2.bin"...flash:/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2.bin: no such file or directory

Error loading "flash:/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process terminated.

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT
environment variable needs to be set to a bootable
image.

switch: boot flash:/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin
Loading "flash:/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin"...@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
File "flash:/c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x1000000
executing...

one of the below things i suspect here :

when the device boot, it shows the model that was missed here, so to confirm what is the exact model here.

1. IOS might have corrupted.

2. or you loading the wrong image.

BB

It is a Cisco Catalyst 3560-CG and on the underside it says WS-C3560CG-8PC-S

This is the link that I am using to locate the software is this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/catalyst-3560-8pc-compact-switch/model.html#~tab-downloads

Happy to try copying IOS again. Do I need to check for free space first? Or delete any files / directories?

If I copy, do I use this guide again: https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/deleted-flash-directory-from-3560-and-rebooted/m-p/4028601/highlight/true#M481708     ?

before you completely format or delete.

can you  please get below information  and try steps :

same procedure as suggested follow :

when you see 

Switch: ( type below command)

switch: flash_init

and post below output :

switch: dir flash:

BB

Since Leo has a good point of the model. as per your URL different model, and you mentioned CG is a different model

look below physical one is this one you have?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/catalyst-3560cg-8pc-s-compact-switch/model.html#~tab-documents

BB

Oh wow! What a rookie mistake - thanks for spotting that both! It is indeed the 3560CG and looks like the photo in the link.

I am going to use software from here instead. https://software.cisco.com/download/home/283733640/type/280805680/release/15.2.2E10?i=!pp

Am I deleting the current contents of flash: and then copying over the correct IOS?

Download the TAR file.
Use the command "archive download-sw tftp://<TFTP_IP_ADDRESS>/IOS_FILENAME.TAR" to push the firmware to the switch.

yes that is correct, get the right image for the device

delete from flash: upload using USB or XMODEM. whichever best.

follow same procedure as mentioned above, and post your outcome.

BB

Error loading "flash:/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2/c3560c405ex-universalk9-mz.122-55.EX2.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process terminated.

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT
environment variable needs to be set to a bootable
image.

switch: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
...The flash is already initialized.

switch: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

2 drwx 512 <date> test
3 -rwx 11775232 <date> c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin

46059520 bytes available (11872256 bytes used)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: