cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Determining source of connection loss over wifi

ElQueue
Level 1
Level 1

I always lose connection to the Internet when I have 2 WiFi Access Points running. Since I assume it's related to either the switch or one of the two APs, I'll list the 3 devices only and if necessary branch out from there.

I have a Catalyst 3750v1 providing PoE to both APs. Both APs are in bridging mode and the 3750 provides the DHCP. Both APs are in the same VLAN. Both APs have same SSID and security options. Internet is accessible to all devices 100% of the time if connected to the first floor AP, and 2nd floor AP has internet for a few minutes after connecting, then stop being pingable and show the ! point on the WiFi indeicator on Android devices, or "No Internet" on Windows devices. Turning off WiFi radios then turning them back on gives them Internet again for a few minutes.

First floor is served by a TP-Link Archer C7. It is run off of port Fa0/1. It provides 802.11ac over 5GHz channel 161 with 80MHz channel width and 802.11g/n over 2.4GHz channel 11 with a 40MHz channel width.

Second floor is served by a Cisco/Linksys WAP4400N. It runs off port Fa0/2. It provides 802.11n over 2.4GHz channel 1 with a 40MHz channel width.

I've done a site survey to ensure that there was not significant interference. At one point I was pulling my hair out and assumed it had to be the 2 2.4GHz channels interfering, so I turned the power down to low on the first floor AP, but that didn't fix anything. Neither did turning off the 2.4GHz radio on the first floor completely.

Are there any ideas for experienced techs out there what's going on besides a bad AP on 2nd floor? It seems to work fine if the first floor is disconnected from the switch. I'm hoping it's just me overlooking something about roaming guidelines.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Turn off 2.4 Ghz.

At the end of my post I explained I already tried that on the first floor. And since the 2nd floor only HAS a 2.4GHz radio, that's not an option.

Turn off 2.4 Ghz and see if you can hear your neighbor's WiFi.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card