Helpful
Replies

Device auto assigning IP address despite given a static IP

systems100
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dear,

Please i need urgent help

One of my devices hosting an application connected to from outside the network is giving itself an autocofig IP of 169.254.124.47 despite the fact that i manually gave it an IP of 192.168.10.9. But when i give it another IP 192.168.10.5 or any other the autoconfig IP stops and it can reach the gateway. 

Actually the IP 192.168.10.9 is mapped on my cisco Firepower device and accesslist are created on the firewall to permit traffic to this device for the purpose of the application it is hosting.

Everything was working fine until yesterday when we did an adjustment on our rack and i suppose the cables were misplaced. But now i have connected the device directly to the switch connected directly to the gateway.

But if the device has the mapped IP 192.168.1.9 it begins to give itself an auto IP but if i change the IP node to any other number the device would reach the gateway.

I can see that the switch port it is connected to has "spanning-tree portfast" this should not be the issue, could it. 

Also firewall i saw "Deny UDP reverse path check from 169.254.124.47 to 169.254.255.255 on interface inside" and i had to remove the RPF from the interface, but the device is still not reaching the gateway via that IP. I decided to change the IP on the device and also on where it was mapped on the firewall, the issue is the same with the new IP too.

Please assist as our external users will not be able to reach the application without the IP

1 Reply 1

Hello,

try and clear all ARP tables on all devices in the path of the 'problem' device, including the Firepower and the switch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card