Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Devices not able to ping router or switch

I am having trouble figuring out why my devices in PT won't ping my default-gateway, switch or routers. I also cannot ping my switch to my router but I can ping my routers to each other and to my switch. 

7 Replies 7

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Need more details; with PT u can attach file

Attached is my PT file

Edwin Portillo
Spotlight
Spotlight
My Friend,
There are some considerations you should take:
1. That the gateway that you have assigned to the final device is in the same network.
2. That is connected in the correct interface.
3. If you have DHCP enabled on your router, make sure you have the default router.
4. That the networks are directly included in some dynamic routing protocol or in the case of static remote networks.
5. Make sure that the IP address that you assign to the final device is the same subnet mask as the interface where you are directly connected.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Cristopher,

in addition to Edwin's suggestions you need to verify how the switch port connected to the router interface is configured:

if the router interface is configured with an IP address on the physical interface

Example

int gi0/0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

the corresponding switch interface needs to be configured as an access port in the same vlan where the PC NICs are connected to

Example:

int gi1/0/1

description to router

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

But if the router interface uses subinterfaces the switch port needs to be configured as a trunk port:

on router

int gi0/0

no ip address

int gi0/0.10

encapsulation dot1q 10

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

The switch port needs to be configured as a trunk port allowing Vlan 10

int gi1/0/1

desc to router

switchport

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,10

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello

Please post the PT file - also make sure your end hosts have the correct subnet-masks and default-gateways applied,

and the switchs have the relevant  vlans in their vlan database.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

attached is my PT file.

Thanks for the help everyone. I thought that I attached the PT file before but here it is. I had not considered putting my sub VLANs on my switches but they would not be able to be accessed otherwise. I will also repost my PT file with the new configuration if I am still lost. I am very grateful for everyone's help and I am glad that we have such a helpful community. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card