cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP on a 3750??

LennoxConner
Level 1
Level 1

I have dhcp running now on an asa 5512 and i want to move it onto the switch.

Its for vlan 4 . I have an interface on the asa 10.77.4.1 . Do i have to give vlan 4  interface an ip on the switch or the command

ip dhcp pool vlan 4 would be enough? I wanted to give the ip dhcp pool a name CORP like it has now on the ASA

Does that work?

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- In general I do not advice this setup (DHCP services on switches), use a separate DHCP server.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hi.

In theory -> Yes you can configure DHCP on the Switch and even give a proper name to the IP-Pool.
You will either need an IP Address on an SVI in every subnet/VLAN on the switch,
or you configure the Switch's Management IP as "ip helper" on the default gateway on the Firewall..

Docu on configuring the DHCP Server on the Switch:
https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/ip_addr/configuration/guide/htdhcpsv.html

Let me know what you think.

Best regards
Juls

Jamesdon54894
Level 1
Level 1

How to Add a DHCP Range to a Cisco 3750 Switch?
1. Attach the Cisco serial console cable nine pin connector to the serial COM port on the Windows 7 computer. Plug the other end of the serial cable into the Cisco 3750 “Console” port.

2. Launch the PuTTY terminal program. Click the “Serial” item in the “PuTTY Configuration” window’s lower left corner.

3. Enter the name of the serial COM port attached to the serial cable into the “Serial Line to Connect to” configuration field. Click the “Flow cControl” box and click “None.” Select “Open.”

4. Press the Enter key twice Omegle. Type “enable” at the Command prompt and press Enter. Write the Cisco 3750 Enable password if prompted and tap Enter.

5. Type “configuration t” at the Command prompt and press Enter. Write “service dhcp” on the Command Line and press Enter.

6. Type “ip dhcp pool pool-name” at the Command prompt. Replace “pool-name” with a name you want to assign to the DHCP pool and press Enter. for more info

https://omegle.website/

The original post tells us in general that they have DHCP running for vlan 4 on an ASA and want to move DHCP for vlan 4 from the ASA to a 3750 and then asks a specific question: "Do i have to give vlan 4  interface an ip on the switch"  

The answer to this question is that yes you must configure an IP address on interface vlan 4 on the switch if DHCP is to work. If the SVI for vlan 4 does not have an IP address then it can not process DHCP for vlan 4.

Of course there are other things that must also be configured if DHCP for vlan 4 is to be moved from ASA to switch, such as pool name, IP subnet, default router, and perhaps things like DNS server. But the essential starting point is an IP address on interface vlan 4.

HTH

Rick

DHCP is widely used in LAN environments to dynamically assign host IP addresses from a centralized server, which significantly reduces the overhead of administration of IP addresses. DHCP also helps conserve the limited IP address space because IP addresses no longer need to be permanently assigned to hosts; bazoocam only those hosts that are connected to the network consume IP addresses. 

For information about the DHCP client, see the "Configuring DHCP" section of the "IP Addressing and Services" section of the Cisco IOS IP Configuration Guide, Release 12.2 from the Cisco.com page under Documentation > Cisco IOS Software > 12.2 Mainline > Configuration Guide for more info

aleenakhalidali
Level 1
Level 1

For information about the DHCP client, see the "Configuring DHCP" section of the "IP Addressing and Services" section of the Cisco IOS IP Configuration Guide, Release 12.2 from the Cisco.com page under Documentation > Cisco IOS Software > 12.2 Mainline > Configuration Guide for tesco bill online

LaimNoah
Level 1
Level 1

On the Cisco.com page, under Documentation > Cisco IOS Software > 12.2 Mainline > Configuration Guide for Cisco IOS IP Configuration Guide, Release 12.2, there is a section titled "Configuring the DHCP client" under "IP Addressing and Services." cpstest

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card