Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP options on a Cisco C1812 router

johnny_xxx
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ppl.

I am going to get some wyse thin clients up and running on our departments. Each department communicate with the main-office through Cisco C1812 routers.

In order to get functionally DHCP up and running, I need to

A - Configure some Dhcp options on the C1812 routers

B - Perform a DHCP relay from each department to the main-office

Option B will cause some additional issues, so is not preferred.

The question is: Does the Cisco DHCP-client have an option for configuring DHCP options? I need to put in among others, an option 161, a string value pointing to a ftp-server. Can this be done? And if it can, I sure would be glad if somebody can give me the right syntax

I have recently started working here, therefore I am not certain of the IOS-version on the router, as I still not have the logon-information, but I will aqquire this shortly.

Regards Jon

4 Replies 4

Andrew Cink
Level 1
Level 1

ip dhcp pool

network x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

default-router x.x.x.x

dns-server x.x.x.x

option

ie, option 156 type string ftpservers=10.1.1.1

See link..

http://www.blindhog.net/cisco-how-to-configure-an-ios-dhcp-server/

Good luck!

Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy!!

It is not possible to configure something like

'option 156 type STRING'

String is not recognized as a valid syntax.

The options I can use is 'ascii', 'hex', 'instance' and 'ip'

Maybe it will work just using 'option 161 ip x.x.x.x', even if my Windows dhcp-server is configured with string? 161 is obviously the option I need to configure.

Regards Jon

My bad, in windows world it's a "string" value. In Cisco world it's an ascii value. The main two you will use for most purposes are ascii or IP. If you're serving something that is just an IP address, like a DNS server, a NTP server, etc, you use IP. If you have to pass in a sequence of characters, like "bootserver=10.1.1.1,vlanid=101" then you put it in as an ASCII value.

If windows is configured with a string value, I'd use ascii. If it doesn't work, try switching it to IP

Andy

Yea.. thta's what I figured.

Thanks for all the help Andy!

I configured to use 'option 161 ip x.x.x.x'' before your answered my question. On my windows Dhcp server the option is actually only passing through an ip-address (or hostname), so pretty sure this will solve the issue for me.

Will (hopefully) have this tested within a week or two.

Thanks again.

Regards Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card