Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP reservation

From my understanding configuring an exclusion will require you to manually enter a static IP on a device and a reservation will not take effect. So my question is that if you need to create two DHCP pools, one for the lease and one for the reservation, how does the lease pool understand not to issue out that specific IP address when the device that is to receive the reservation is not connected to the network?

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The lease is infinite once it has been allocated to host, you can see it in sh ip dhcp bind output.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

most specific config (hardware-address, excluded-address) using  for the ip leasing

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mrdogantr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

look links below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a00800f0804.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfdhcp.html

for example;

ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.2.1 172.16.2.10
ip dhcp pool TEST
 network 172.16.2.0 /24
 default-router 172.16.2.1
 dns-server 8.8.8.8 
 lease 30

ip dhcp pool Test_User 
 host 172.16.2.254 
 hardware-address aaaa.bbbb.cccc
 client-name Test_User

hth

Muammer

My question is not how to configure a reservation but what is preventing the original DHCP pool to lease out the reserved address. For example using your example. What is preventing DHCP pool TEST from leasing out 172.16.2.254 when that machine is not connected to the network? Does the Test pool inspect other pools for reservations?

--

Hi,

The lease is infinite once it has been allocated to host, you can see it in sh ip dhcp bind output.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Ah ok I see. Thanks for clearing this up for me!

--

most specific config (hardware-address, excluded-address) using  for the ip leasing

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: