Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP server redundancy between two core switches

1dilsarahm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Windows DHCP server and two Cisco 3850 switches.

I need to achieve redundancy between the DHCP server and core switches in case of a failure of one core switch.

What should I configure to make DHCP server redundant?

Best regards,

Melanka

P.S - Sorry for my poor English :)

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Lookup into NIC teaming with LACP for the version of MS that you are using. Assuming your 3850's are stacked together, configure a port-channel with a member link connected to each switch into your MS server/ ESXi host.

http://itprocentral.com/configuring-nic-teaming-using-lacp-in-windows-server-2016/

cheers,

Seb.

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
You could leave it at layer 2 both links just use spanning tree cost on one of the links to make it less preferable spanning-tree cost 10000 , if the preferred link goes down the other path will kick in

if the switches are stacked , you could just use a port-channel lacp to the server

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Of course this could also be looked from the viewpoint of redundant DHCP services or else what if the 

DHCP server itself fails ? I am not commercially biased but as  a practical example I only mention that, on our Intranet,  we are using an Infoblox HA-pair in 2 separate data centers for redundant DHCP servicing (e.g.).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card