cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCPv6 and Manual Bindings

keiththomas
Level 1
Level 1

With DHCPv6, do manual address bindings not apply?  I see manual bindings for prefix delegation but none for addresses.

In dhcpv4, there was the ability to specify a client-id (or hardware-address) and then use the command 'host a.b.c.d' to assign a specific address to a specific host.

In studying dhcpv6, I do not see a similar capability.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

keiththomas
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?

Free Beer!

keiththomas
Level 1
Level 1

Wow, all those Cisco folks and CCIEs out there and nobody knows! I have either stumped or bored the world's experts.

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

jsidwell
Level 1
Level 1

Hope this helps. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk872/technologies_white_paper09186a00801e199d.shtml#wp41640

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-dhcp.html

If I understand your question, you are asking if you can do a one-to-one mapping between a client and an IPv6 address.  Are you looking for this mapping to be a global, link local or unique local?  What is the driver behind this requirement?  If you have the DHCPv6 configured to hand out a /64 prefix then using the manipulation on the MAC address, you will know (predictably) what the address will be:  .

Here is what Cisco has to say about their implementation of DHCPv6 (from the first link):

The Cisco IOS Software DHCPv6 function runs in routers. It is based on RFC3315 DHCPv6 specification. Prefix Delegation [PD] and DNS [DNS] DHCPv6 options are supported and allow distribution of a prefix, as well as a list of DNS servers and domain names.

The Cisco IOS Software DHCPv6 client and server are specifically intended as a PD solution and do not implement the entire DHCPv6 protocol. Cisco IOS Software DHCPv6 currently implements PD, the rapid-commit mechanism, stateless DHCPv6 ("DHCPv6-lite"), and the following:

Client Identifier option

Server Identifier option

Option Request option

Preference option

Status Code Option

Rapid Commit option

Identity Association for Prefix Delegation option (IA_PD option)

IA_PD Prefix option

Domain Name Server option

Domain Search List option

Thank you , that is helpful. The server is handing out IA_NA and chooses the 'host' bits (those beyond the address prefix specified in the dhcpv6 pool.)

I was looking to see if I can also control the lower 64 bits being handed out.

I am not aware of a DHCPv6 server that does this.  I believe that the expectation and design for IPv6 is that the host is responsible for this (per RFC 4862).

This document specifies the steps a host takes in deciding how to
   autoconfigure its interfaces in IP version 6.  The autoconfiguration
   process includes generating a link-local address, generating global
   addresses via stateless address autoconfiguration, and the Duplicate
   Address Detection procedure to verify the uniqueness of the addresses
   on a link.

I hope that helps.  To be clear, I am speaking of link-local addresses.  Global addresses are a different matter when mapped to a DNS name.  I would expect that any FQDN name would resolve to a static IPv6 address (or by some DDNS means).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco