Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCPv6 Guard

agapitca19
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Will the commands below prevent an end device like a computer or voip phone broadcasting unwanted ipv6 traffic to LAN? We don't run ipv6 in our network and had an issue before wherein one of our access switches was getting lots of ipv6 traffic from a computer that caused network issues. When we took that computer off of the network, ipv6 broadcast stopped and everything got back to normal. There were changes made on the NIC setting and driver but I want to know on the networking perspective if these commands will help on the said issue.

(config)# ipv6 nd raguard policy POLICY
                  device-role host

(config-if)# ipv6 nd raguard attach-policy POLICY

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Hello

ipv6 doesn't broadcast it multicasts

I guess that pc if it had IPv6 enabled on its nic was possibly using ndp to discovery neighbouring link local addresses 

However say that it should not flood the entire lan segment and cause unesessary flooding

Did you check the of for any infection etc,,,

I would suggest to negate any such unicast / multicast or IPv4 broadcast in the furthe implement interface storm control on your lan swich

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

thanks for the correction on ipv6 multicast.

it was not a virus issue, adjustments were made on the nic settings(disabled ipv6) and updated the driver(that particular driver version is notorious of flooding ipv6 traffic when the PC goes to sleep or hibernate mode as other users had indicated on support forums).

the commands i asked above won't prevent ipv6 traffic flood like the storm control that you suggested?

thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card